Steam Games – This is the most complete (if not completely complete) list of free Steam games out there. Only list you will need for Steam games.
whatmmorpg – Great site with a huge categorized list of MMORPGS.
Another List – Ah, good ol Wikipedia
VINDICTUS – This game (as with most if not all) are already on whatmmorpg.com. HOWEVER, this games legit, so it gets its own link.
- League of Legends – Good action RTS thats similar (very similar) to Defense Of The Ancients.
- Savage: The Battle for Newerth – An online only science fantasy game that combines aspects of a RTS and FPS.
- Savage 2: A Tortured Soul – If you liked the first then give this one a try.
- Dragon Nest – MMO with unique graphics, 4 different classes, PvP, Co-Op, and a intense fighting system (with combos).
- FreeShooters – Nice list with different genres of shooters.
- America’s Army – Online realistic army based FPS that doubles as a recruitment tool. Its paid for by the US Army so it’s free.
- Arma 2 – The free version of the realistic military shooter. What’s different in the free version compared to the full version you ask? According to the official site, it’s Arma 2 “minus the campaign, HD graphics and support for user-made addons and mods”.
- Battlefield Play4Free – “Battlefield Play4Free includes contents from both Battlefield 2 as well as Battlefield: Bad Company 2. The game has a leveling system, in-game shop and gameplay customization, similar to Battlefield Heroes. The game supports up to 32-player battles.” -Wikipedia
- Battlefield Heroes – A cartoon-style (to play smoother on less than awesome computers) third and first-person shooter. Its battlefield so you know it will be fun.
- Doom Legacy – “Doom Legacy is a source port originally written as a fork of DOSDoom, introducing mouse-look, jumping, a console, 32-player deathmatch, skins, and, later, native Windows, Linux and Mac OS X ports. It has also evolved to support many Boom features and 3D acceleration. It also adds a few new features, notably the ability for levels to contain floors directly over floors, which means levels are not required to be strictly 2D as in the original Doom.” – Wikipedia
- Quake Live – A free web based version of Quake III Arena that can be played in full screen mode. It’s Quake, its online, its FREE. Nuff said.
- .kkrieger – This FPS is more of a tech demo than a game but thats not the crazy part. The game is only a 96kb download. It looks like a pretty version of Quake 3 but its only 96kb’s. Is your mind BLOWN YET!?
- F.E.A.R. Combat – What happens when you take the full multiplayer component from F.E.A.R. and release it for free? F.E.A.R. Combat obviously.
- Full Spectrum Warrior – Full Spectrum Warrior is a squad-based real-time tactics shooter in which the player issues commands to two fireteams. Looks pretty and fun.
- Marathon Trilogy – Made by the company that made Halo before there was Halo (Bungie, in case your lost). Originally a Mac only game, it has been released totally free and can be compatable with Mac OS X, Windows, and Linux if you also download this.
- Postal 2: Share the Pain – You may have heard about Postal 2 for its horribly inappropriate (yet extreamly funny) content. Well, since the multiplayer is free now, you can kill your friends and piss on them too, everybody wins 😀
- Red Eclipse – Free FPS based around multiplayer but can be played offline with bots. Has a pretty simple to use level editor that can make levels on the fly and cooperatively with a friend online.
- S.T.A.L.K.E.R. “xrCore” build 1935 – “At the end of February 2009, due to popular demand GSC Game World released “xrCore” build 1935. It uses a completely different physics engine with many cut monsters, levels, and vehicles. It was also significantly larger than the retail release. It is however somewhat unstable, but features the full game along with a “fully functional ALife system”.” – Wikipedia
- Starsiege: Tribes – Good squad-based online multiplayer game with a sci-fi setting. Has singleplayer but its just multiplayer with bots.
- Tribes 2 – As with all sequels, Tribes 2 is very similar to the first but expands on everything from balancing issues, graphics, weapons, maps and so forth and its more widley played and supported.
- Warmonger: Operation Downtown Destruction – Nice looking online FPS with destructable environments.
- Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory – Great free online WWII based FPS.
- SCP – Containment Breach – Still an early alpha build (as of July 2012) so it might not run smoothly on your pc, but if it does, your in for a treat. An experimental horror game based upon stories of The SCP Foundation where you must escape from a facility housing plenty of strange, seemingly otherworldly creatures and objects. What sets the game apart however is that you must blink (you have a blink meter) and just your luck, one of the monsters will teleport and attack you if you don’t make eye contact with it.
- SCP-087-B – This game will make you afraid of stairs. Very afraid.
- Slender – Very simple but very scary. The game plops you into a dark forest with your only goal being to collect 8 pages while avoiding The Slender Man. Guaranteed to freak you out.
- Atari 2600 – Good site with a lot of 2600 games.
- NES – Great site with a huge collection of NES games you can play for free in your browser.
- Gameboy/GB Color – Great site with a huge collection of Gameboy and Gameboy Color games you can play for free in your browser.
- SNES – Great site with a huge collection of SNES games you can play for free in your browser.
- Sega Genesis – Good site with a lot of Genesis games.
- N64 – Good Collection of N64 games.
- I Wanna Be The Guy – The original that started it all (whatever that may be). As stated in my review (right here), this game is the most difficult 2d platformer/game I have ever played. Still fun though.
- I Wanna Be The Guy: Gaiden – Sequel to the very difficult IWBTG. Fun stuff
- I Wanna Be The Fangame – Probably the best (as of now) IWBTG fangame out there.
- Similar IWBTG games – This is the master list of all other games that are similar to I Wanna Be The Guy.
- QWOP – Run like a Kenyan…with polio. Fun but challenging game that teaches you walking and running are actually harder than you think.
- System Shock – Freaking great game. More of a FPS sci fi horror action adventure RPG than just a plain ol’ RPG. It may look a little old but it inovated many things in FPS’s that we take for granted. Great story, graphics (for the time), and sound design and to top things off, gave birth to one of the greatest antagonists of all time.
- The Elder Scrolls: Arena – The first game in the well known Elder Scrolls franchise with plenty of things to do and kill.
- The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall – Similar to the first but as with most if not all sequels, everything is done bigger and better.
- Frets on Fire – Music game similar to Guitar Hero except you use your keyboard like the guitar.
- Death Rally – Top down racing game with guns. Kinda like a poor mans twisted metal…with Duke Nukem in it.
- Beneath a Steel Sky – Good old point and click sci fi action game that was made freeware.
- Command and Conquer series – If your into the RTS genre then why not give the classic that started it all a download. Games available include: Command and Conquer, Command & Conquer: Red Alert, and Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun.
- Grand Theft Auto 1 and 2 – You probably have heard this name before. Not to be confused with the GTA III and above third person style of play, its a top down driving/shooting game, still very good games though.
- One Must Fall: 2097 – 2D Fighting game with robots.
- Mechwarrior 4: Vengence – Great mech simulation game. Lots of explosions and lasers and enough customization to satisfy any mech fan.
- Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy – Great third person action game with psychic powers. Can drain energy from enemies making their heads explode. Whats not to love about that? Besides the free download aspect.
- Star Wraith IV: Reviction – A 3D space-sim/combat game with online multiplayer capabilities. Star Wraith 2 and 3 are also free but, Star Wraith 3 is played more between the 3.